Billy Joe Saunders promised he would win or lose no apologies after his scheduled fight Saturday with boxing superstar Canelo Alvarez. Now the Saunders are not even threatening to go into the ring as a dispute over the size of the ring has arisen.
Saunders jumped over first face with Alvarez on Tuesday and has said he will not fight in anything less than a 24-foot ring.
“There’s a little bit of hiccup today that everyone is trying to solve,” Saunders said TALKsport. I left it to my management team MTK who are here and sort it out, it’s quite a hiccup to be honest. The problem is I got over here and they’re trying to get me in a phone box with a boxing ring. [The stadium] are hundreds and hundreds of feet long and they will hold a 16 [or] 18 foot ring in the middle of it.
“To me it’s just unacceptable. I want a 24-foot ring and they say it’s not going to happen. I’ve left it to my team and I’m sure they’ll fix it, otherwise “there’s not every fight. You can’t just fly me in here, show me the ring we use. I’ve trained my whole camp in a 24-foot ring, it’s a battle for union, not a British title.”
Alvarez is ready to defend his WBA and WBC super middleweight titles, while Saunders will put his WBO belt on the field.
This is hardly the first time a fighter threatens to pull out of a fight at the last minute. In March, Dennis Hogan threatened to withdraw from his fight with Tim Tszyu due to a dispute over which sponsors Hogan could have shown on his suitcases. Just last week, Dereck Chisora stormed out of the weigh-in ceremonies for his fight with Joseph Parker after refusing to go to the ring second.
In both of these recent situations, the fight continued as planned, with the protesting fighter taking the loss.
Saunders is currently a +550 underdog according to the William Hill Sportsbook.
BoxingNewsED reported that John Ryder flies to Texas as a backup option.