Image source: The White House
President Joe Biden has decided to repeal the national emergency order used to fund Donald Trump’s border wall.
In a letter to Congress on Feb. 11, President Biden wrote the order was “unjustified” and said no additional tax dollars would be spent on the wall.
The former president declared a state of emergency over the southern border in 2019, which allowed him to bypass Congress and use military means to build it.
When Donald Trump left office, about $ 25 billion was spent on the project.
The announcement by President Biden is the latest in a series of executive orders that have returned key parts of the former president’s agenda.
Last week, Joe Biden signed orders for the reunification of migrant families, separated by Trump-era politics, and ordered an investigation into his predecessor’s immigration agenda.
In a letter dated February 11, President Biden wrote that he would also request a review of “all resources appropriated or redirected” to the wall structure.
The construction of the border wall was a promise to sign Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign.
However, the project faced strong opposition in the Democrat-controlled house, and the Republican president announced that he would use extraordinary powers to fund its construction.
President Trump may declare state of emergency to build Mexican border wall Mexican wall: President Trump talks about solar panel plan
A declaration of a state of emergency allows US presidents to circumvent the usual political process and have access to military funding.
Before Donald Trump became president in 2017, there were already various types of fencing worth a total of 654 miles.
During his rule, 80 miles of new barriers were built where there were none before, and almost 400 miles replaced the existing parts of the structure.
Former Trump campaign adviser Jason Miller turned to Twitter to comment on the decision, writing “Biden loves illegal immigration.”
However, some parts of the Trump administration’s immigration policy will remain in place.
At a news conference on Feb. 10, White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the new administration would maintain a Trump-era policy that allows border officials to briefly evict undocumented immigrants in a coronavirus pandemic.
She said: “Due to the pandemic and the fact that we have not had time as an administration to introduce a humane, comprehensive process for dealing with people who come to the border.
“Now is not the time to come and most people will be rejected.”