Although older homes have distinct rural charm for them they are not without their flaws. They tend to be inefficient when it comes to utilities, and the need for regular maintenance is huge compared to modern homes. More importantly, living in an older home can often be detrimental to your health. Here are three common health hazards that occur in older homes.
Source: Max Pixel
It may not be the most serious health hazard you can find in a home, but it’s still worth paying attention to mold. Wet interior surfaces, such as walls, carpets and hard floors, provide ideal conditions for mold spores to settle and begin to spread. They are invisible to the naked eye, but float in the air around us wherever the conditions are right. Every building is at some risk of mold, but older homes, especially in wetlands, are much more prone to it because they tend to have worse seals and fail to prevent condensation. Enough mold has the potential to cause respiratory problems and will worsen asthma. Allergic reactions to it are also quite common. If you find mold in your home, try to get rid of any source of moisture that causes it. You can read more at Removemoldguide.com.
Mold can be a source of some serious health problems, but they are all quite benign compared to the damage that asbestos can cause. Asbestos is a subdivision of natural minerals. Due to its strength and fire-retardant properties, it has been used in countless construction projects over the last century, as a reagent for roof tiles, insulation, concrete and various other products. Although now banned as a building material, there are still many buildings in the developed world that contain asbestos. The material is a threat only if it is loosened and invisible fibers fall into the air. If they are inhaled, they can get stuck in the lungs, scar tissue and increase the risk of cancer such as mesothelioma, especially in a person who smokes. You can read more about his on Mesotheliomahelp.org. If you do not know when your home was last swept away for asbestos or are considering buying an older house, it is worth hiring a qualified risk assessment inspector.
This is another toxic material that has often been used in buildings for decades. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, every American home built before 1978 has a fair chance of having a little lead-based paint. In its solid form, lead paint is quite harmless unless swallowed, and in many cases the interior paint would be repeatedly coated with latex-based paint. The biggest risk is that the exterior paint will peel off over time and end up in the garden, where it can be swallowed by pets or small children. They can also get into vegetable spots and contaminate the food that grows there. If your exterior siding has lead-based paint, it’s usually a good idea to remove it completely.