Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones have been banned from all US flights following reports of the device igniting, the US Department of Transportation announced.
Passengers will not be able to pick up their Galaxy Note 7 phones during flights or in their luggage to and from the US from 16:00 GMT on October 15. Passengers trying to travel with the device are informed that the phone will be confiscated and a passenger may be fined.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has previously recommended not to pack phones in luggage.
This week, Samsung finally stopped production of the Galaxy Note 7.
Transport Minister Anthony Fox said in a statement: “We recognize that the ban on these phones by airlines will create inconvenience to some passengers, but the safety of all those on board an aircraft must be a priority.
“We are taking this extra step because even one in-flight fire accident poses a high risk of serious injury and puts many lives at risk.”
The South Korean technology giant withdrew about 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7 phones in September after complaints of exploding batteries.
While the company later insisted that all replaced devices were safe, there were reports that these phones also caught fire.
Samsung then announced that it would stop production of the Galaxy Note 7.
The chairman of the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, Elliott Kay, said: “The risk of fire in the original note 7 and the replacement note 7 is simply too great for anyone to take a risk and not react to this official seizure.
“I would like to remind consumers once again to take advantage of the proposed remedies, including a full refund. This is the right thing and the safest thing. “