Republican President Donald Trump has defended his call for a ban on Muslims entering the United States after he was used in a propaganda video by Somali militant group al-Shabab.
Donald Trump said people praised his courage, highlighting a real “problem” that others chose to ignore.
Speaking at CBS News, Donald Trump said: “Now people are getting involved.”
The tycoon’s call, following the shooting in San Bernardino that killed 14 people, was widely condemned.
Democratic presidential candidate and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Donald Trump’s rhetoric made him the “best recruiter” for ISIL.
A propaganda video by al-Shabab, al-Qaeda’s Somali branch, uses a clip of Donald Trump echoing his call for a rally last month.
His appearance in CBS News’ Face the Nation, which will be shown on January 3, Donald Trump was asked how his comments were shaped by Al Shabab as an incentive for Muslims to join the holy war.
“Look, there’s a problem,” Donald Trump said.
“I am raising him. Other people have called and said you have the courage to pick it up because it’s honestly true and no one wants to get involved.
“People who have different beliefs right now say, you know, maybe Trump isn’t wrong. We want to look at it. “
The video, published by al-Shabab’s media wing, also called on African Americans to convert to Islam and take part in the holy war. It says racism, police brutality and anti-Muslim sentiment are widespread in the United States.
In recent years, several Somali Americans from Minnesota have gone to fight for Al Shabab in Somalia.
Al Shabab, which seeks to overthrow the Western-backed government of Somalia and impose a strict version of Sharia law, has carried out attacks in Kenya and Ethiopia.
Donald Trump’s statement last month called for a “complete and complete halt to Muslims” entering the United States until the authorities can “understand what’s going on.”