Italian rescue teams have decided to resume work aboard the wrecked cruise ship Costa Concordia off the coast of Tuscany.
Operations were suspended on Wednesday as Costa Concordia changed its position. More than 20 people are still missing.
Rescue operators are ready to start pumping fuel from the ship’s tanks to avoid a potential environmental disaster.
The cruise ship Costa Concordia ran aground on Friday with about 4,200 people on board, tourists and crew. At least 11 people were killed.
The bodies of two French victims have been identified by relatives, the French embassy in Rome confirmed, AFP reports.
Now the rescue workers have almost completed the investigation on the fourth level of the ship.
Earlier, Coast Guard spokesman Filippo Marini said the ship was stabilized.
“The tests at night were positive and now we have divers,” Filippo Marini told reporters, reports Agence France-Presse.
“Then we will use the micro-explosives to open more holes. They will enter the ship and look for more people. ”
A specialized team from a Dutch rescue company is preparing to pump more than 2,300 tons of fuel from the ship’s 17 tanks.
Mike Lacey of the International Union of Victims says the operation could take some time.
“[The fuel] is distributed around 17 tanks. The quantities in each tank will obviously be different, and the people involved in the oil removal operation are experts in this kind of thing – and they know exactly what to do. “ Mike Lacey.
“They will drill into each tank and pump the oil and put it in a barge or a coastal tanker or even a tug.
“All these things are very time dependent. If time turns against them, they will not be able to work. So I understand that they expect it takes a week to two weeks to get all the fuel off. “
About 300 Filipino members of the Costa Concordia crew arrived back in Manila.
They seemed visibly shaken by their trials.
Some crew members said they had done a good job of making sure their passengers were safe, but found that the captain and officers had already left the ship at the time the “abandon ship” message was given. . They said they felt angry and let down.
“It’s … terrible, because it’s supposed to be the captain [be] the last to remain on the ship if there is a collision like this, and not the passengers and crew members, “ said Andrew Bakud, steward of the ship.
On Wednesday, the first of the 11 confirmed dead to be identified was 38-year-old Hungarian violinist Sandor Feher.
His body was found in the wreckage and was identified by his mother.
The captain of the ship Francesco Shetino admitted yesterday that he made a mistake in the navigation, Italian media reported.
Francesco Sketino told investigators that he “ordered the turn too late” while the luxury ship was sailing near the island, according to a leaked transcript of an interrogation.
Captain Francesco Shetino is under house arrest on suspicion of repeated manslaughter. Prosecutors also accuse him of fleeing the ship before the evacuation was completed.